- Diese Veranstaltung hat bereits stattgefunden.
Globalisation with Chinese characteristics – Europe’s response to China’s Silk Road Initiative?
26. September, 09:30 - 13:00
Dear Sir or Madam,
The Greens/EFA Group and Reinhard Bütikofer cordially welcome you to the event
“Globalisation with Chinese characteristics – Europe’s response to China’s Silk Road Initiative?”
on Wednesday, 26 September 2018 from 09h30 – 13h00, European Parliament, Brussels, Room ASP1G3
When the project “New Silk Road” was launched in 2013 by China’s leader Xi Jinping, Western countries were wary of the idea, yet commented on the project quite openly. In the first part of our discussion, we will look at how this mega project is now perceived from a European perspective. In the second part, we will discuss the consequences of the Belt and Road initiative for the EU’s trade policy. How do we have to shape European trade and investment policies in the future in order for the EU to remain an attractive trade partner in the OBOR-region?
Registration and coffee 9:30
Welcoming and Introduction 10:00
- Reinhard Bütikofer, Member of the European Parliament, Greens/EFA, and Co-Chair of the European Green Party
10.10 PANEL 1: The EU’s perspective and position on China’s belt and road initiative: priorities and key measures
- Angela Stanzel (European Council on Foreign Relations, ECFR)
- Jonathan Hatwell (EEAS, head of division for China)
- Korinna Horta (Urgewald e.V.)
- Thomas Eder (Mercator Institute for China Studies, Merics)
11.30 Coffee Break
11.40 PANEL 2: Implications for the EU’s trade policy: opportunities and obstacles
- Jacopo Maria Pepe (German Council on Foreign Relations, DGAP)
- Peter Wolff (The German Development Institute, die)
- Thomas König (Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce, DIHK)
- Fraser Cameron (director of the EU-Asia Center)
- Nadège Rolland (The National Bureau of Asian Research)
The event will also be live-streamed in EN/DE/FR here.
We look forward to welcoming you to this event.
Reinhard Bütikofer MEP